PROGRAM DESCRIPTION / OBJECTIVES
The Scholarly Concentrations Program is a four-year track opportunity for medical students to engage in and attain recognition for scholarly pursuits in related areas of medicine. Under this Program, students have the opportunity to do academic exploration in (1) Basic, Translational & Clinical Research, (2) Global Health, (3) Medical Humanities & Ethics, (4) Medical Education, and (5) Social Science. The program aims to align the areas of interest of students with the academic mission of the School providing a longitudinal area of work to the student experience at the School of Medicine. For many students, this period has been extremely helpful in shaping career goals and in building an academic track record attractive to residencies. The specific goals of the Scholarly Concentrations Program are:
- To provide encouragement, impetus, and support for engaging in additional extracurricular scholarly pursuits aligned with one's own area of interest
- To facilitate the attainment of valuable career experience in areas and projects related to medicine as a complement to students' didactic medical education.
- To provide special recognition to students who engage in such scholarly pursuits and meet the standard requirements of the program.
WHO RUNS THE PROGRAM?
The program is run by the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education headed by the Vice Dean. A steering committee with all track leaders and medical students determines specific policies and procedures related to the program.
TRACKS / CONTACTS
The specific tracks of the Scholarly Concentrations Program are listed below with the Steering Committee members' contact information. Each track has additional information listed on its information page to consider. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with all the information relevant to your scholarly concentration track.
- Chair, Dr. Laurie Shroyer (444-8113) / email@example.com
- Vice Chair, Dr. Lina Obeid (444-2641) / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Mark Sedler (444-9547) / mark.sedler@