All residents/fellows involved in chest tube insertions must be appropriately educated and must be supervised by a certified/privileged practitioner (e.g., Attending, Fellow, and Senior Resident) in the procedure until properly certified to perform the procedure independently. In order to become certified the resident/fellow must complete the following steps in sequence:
- View New England Journal video library. You will be taken to another website where you will be asked to log in using your Stony Brook net id and password. A new window will open, making it easier to return back to the Chest Tube Insertion website.
- View Video (optional) "Problems and Prevention: Chest Tube Insertion" (be sure to ALLOW PopUps)
- View Power Point Presentation.
- Complete the on-line quiz, and achieve an 80% or greater on the post test located HERE
- Successfully insert two chest tubes in the Clinical Skills Center under the supervision of a certified/licensed practitioner.
- Successfully insert two chest tubes at patient bedside under the supervision of a certified/licensed practitioner.