- Professor of Surgery and Orthopaedics
- Chief, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Division
- Co-Director, Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Center
- University of Ottawa (1987)
- Plastic Surgery, University of Toronto
- Hand and Microsurgery, University of Toronto and SUNY-Stony Brook
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Reconstructive and aesthetic surgery
- Breast reconstruction after cancer
- Breast reduction and augmentation
- Nose surgery
- Cleft lip and cleft palate surgery
- Treatment of facial fractures
- Hand surgery (microsurgical repair of bony, soft tissue, and nerve injuries)
- Reconstructive surgery for burn patients
- Facelift, general liposuction, and tummy-tuck surgery
- Evaluation and surgical management of chronic wounds (skin grafting and soft tissue flap coverage)
- Skin cancer, including melanoma surgery and sentinel node biopsy
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-060
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Center
24 Research Way
East Setauket, NY 11733-3453
14 Technology Drive
East Setauket, NY 11733-3464
Surgical Care Center
37 Research Way
East Setauket, NY 11733-3465
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, America's Top Doctors, representing the top 1% of physicians in the nation
- Selected for inclusion in the "Best Doctors" listing of New York Magazine, representing the top 2% of physicians in the New York Metropolitan area
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to America's Top Plastic Surgeons and Guide to America's Top Surgeons, both published by the Consumers' Research Council of America
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area
- Celebrated for his contribution to one of ten "Medical Marvels" featured in New York Magazine ("Factory worker loses hands. Doctors have twelve hours to reattach."; June 19, 2006) for his hands' reattachment surgery
- Recipient of 2009 Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
- Antonyshyn OM, Weinberg MJ, Dagum AB. Use of a new anchoring device for tendon reinsertion in medial canthopexy. Plast Reconstr Surg 1996;98:520-3.
- Bhatnagar D, Conkling N, Rafailovich M, Phillips BT, Bui DT, Khan SU, Dagum AB. An in vivo analysis of the effect and duration of treatment with botulinum toxin type A using digital image speckle correlation. Skin Res Technol 2013;19:220-9.
- Conkling N, Bishawi M, Phillips BT, Bui DT, Khan SU, Dagum AB. Subjective rating of cosmetic treatment with botulinum toxin type A: do existing measures demonstrate interobserver validity? Ann Plast Surg 2012;69:350-5.
- Dagum AB. Controversy in carpal tunnel. Audio Dig Orthop 1997;20:1-2.
- Dagum AB. Peripheral nerve regeneration, repair, and grafting. J Hand Ther 1998;11:111-7.
- Dagum AB, Antonyshyn O, Hearn T. Medial canthopexy: an experimental and biomechanical study. Ann Plast Surg 1995;35:262-5.
- Dagum AB, Best AK, Schemitsch EH, Mahoney JL, Mahomed MN, Blight KR. Salvage after severe lower-extremity trauma: are the outcomes worth the means? Plast Reconstr Surg 1999;103:1212-20.
- Dagum AB, Dowd AJ. Simple monitoring technique for muscle flaps. Microsurgery 1995;16:728-9.
- Dagum AB, Hurst LC. Dupuytren's contracture. In: Herndon JH, editor. Surgical Reconstruction of the Upper Extremity. New York: Appleton and Lange, 1999: 849-58.
- Dagum AB, Hurst LC, Badelamente M. Peripheral nerve injury, regeneration, and repair. In: Dee R, Hurst LC, Gruber MA, Kottmeier SA, editors. Principles of Orthopaedic Practice. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1997: 1207-14.
- Dagum AB, Hurst LC, Finzel KC. Scapholunate dissociation: an experimental kinematic study of two types of indirect soft tissue repairs. J Hand Surg 1997;22:714-9.
- Dagum AB, Mahoney JL. Effect of wrist position on extensor mechanism after disruption separation. J Hand Surg 1994;19:584-9.
- Dagum AB, Mirza MA. Replantation surgery in the upper extremity. In: Dee R, Hurst LC, Gruber MA, Kottmeier SA, editors. Principles of Orthopaedic Practice. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1997: 1187-92.
- Dagum AB, Park DJ, Lau KN, Khan SU. Antibiotic-impregnated polymethylmethacrylate beads and cement in the treatment of posttraumatic infections of the frontal sinus. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;123:193e-4e.
- Dagum AB, Peters WJ, Neligan PC, Douglas LG. Severe multiple mononeuropathy in patients with major thermal burns. J Burn Care Rehabil 1993;14:440-5.
- Dagum AB, Sampson SP. Enchondroma protuberans: a case report. J Hand Surg 1998;23:338-41.
- Dagum AB, Slesarenko Y, Winston L, Tottenham V. Long-term outcome of replantation of proximal-third amputated arm: a worthwhile endeavor. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2007;11:231-5.
- Dvali LT, Dagum AB, Pang CY, Kerluke LD, Catton P, Pennock P, Mahoney JL. Effect of radiation on skin expansion and skin flap viability in pigs. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000;106:624-9.
- Fritz JR, Phillips BT, Conkling N, Fourman M, Melendez MM, Bhatnagar D, Simon M, Rafailovich M, Dagum AB. Comparison of native porcine skin and a dermal substitute using tensiometry and digital image speckle correlation. Ann Plast Surg 2012;69:462-7.
- Haimovici L, Papafragkou S, Lee W, Dagum A, Hurst LC. The impact of fiberwire, fiberloop, and locking suture configuration on flexor tendon repairs. Ann Plast Surg 2012;69:468-70.
- Jacob ZC, Tito MF, Dagum AB. MR imaging-related electrical thermal injury complicated by acute carpal tunnel and compartment syndrome: case report. Radiology 2010;254:846-50.
- Kao JT, Dagum AB, Mahoney JL, Gardiner GW, Beaton D. The histopathological changes in irradiated vs. nonradiated tissue-expanded skin in the porcine model. Ann Plast Surg 1997;39:287-91.
- Khanna S, Dagum AB. A critical review of the literature and an evidence-based approach for life-threatening hemorrhage in maxillofacial surgery. Ann Plast Surg 2012;69:474-8.
- Melendez MM, Beasley M, Dagum AB, Khan SU. Outcomes of abdominoplasty performed in an office-based surgical setting [abstract]. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;122:128-9.
- Melendez MM, Martinez RR, Dagum AB, McClain SA, Simon, M, Arora B, Sobanko J, Zimmerman T, Wetterau M, Muller, D, Xu X, Singer A. Porcine wound healing in full-thickness skin defects using Integra with and without fibrin glue with keratinocytes. Can J Plast Surg 2008;16:147-52.
- Phillips BT, Bishawi M, Dagum AB, Khan SU, Bui DT. A systematic review of antibiotic use and infection in breast reconstruction: what is the evidence? Plast Reconstr Surg 2013;131:1-13.
- Phillips BT, Lanier ST, Conkling N, Wang ED, Dagum AB, Ganz JC, Khan SU>, Bui DT. Intraoperative perfusion techniques can accurately predict mastectomy skin flap necrosis in breast reconstruction: results of a prospective trial. Plast Reconstr Surg 2012;129:778e-88e.
- Rodman AJ, Conkling N, Bhatnagar D, Phillips BT, Rafailovich M, Bui DT, Khan SU, Dagum AB. The use of digital image speckle correlation analysis for targeted treatment of upper facial rhytids with botulinum toxin type A [abstract]. Plast Reconstr Surg 2012;130:102.
- Singer AJ, Arora B, Dagum A, Valentine S, Hollander JE. Development and validation of a novel scar evaluation scale. Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;120:1892-7.
- Singer AJ, Dagum AB. Current management of acute cutaneous wounds. N Engl J Med 2008;359:1037-46.
- Slesarenko YA, Dagum AB, Hurst LC. False aneurysm of the superficial palmar arch causing acute carpal tunnel syndrome. Orthopedics 2007;30:493-4.
- Slesarenko YA, Hurst LC, Dagum AB. Synovial chondromatosis of the distal radioulnar joint. Hand Surg 2004;9:241-3.
- Slesarenko YA, Sampson SP, Gould ES, Dagum AB. Recurrent enchondroma protuberans: a case report. J Hand Surg 2005;30:1318-21.
- Sobanko JF, Dagum AB, Davis IC, Kriegel DA. Soft tissue tumors of the hand. 1. Benign. Dermatol Surg 2007;33:651-67.
- Sobanko JF, Dagum AB, Davis IC, Kriegel DA. Soft tissue tumors of the hand. 2. Malignant. Dermatol Surg 2007;33:771-85.
- Wang ED, Xu X, Dagum AB. Mirror image trigger thumbs in dichorionic twins: a unique presentation of pediatric trigger thumb. Orthopedics 2012;35:e981-3.