- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Co-Director, Ventricular Assist Device Program
- Head, Thoracic Aortic Surgery
- Associate Director, General Surgery Residency
- Video of Dr. McLarty Explaining VAD
- Columbia University (1988)
- General Surgery, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Affiliated Specialty Centers
- Acute Myocardial Infarction
- Aortic Surgery
- Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Endovascular Aortic Surgery
- Lung Cancer
- Thoracic Surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Surgery [Video]
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-080
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
Surgical Care Center
37 Research Way
East Setauket, NY 11733-3465
Peconic Bay Office
31 Main Road
Riverhead, NY 11901
Tel: (631) 444-1820
Fax: (631) 444-8963
- Personal Statement
I care for patients with all forms of heart disease who require surgery, as well as for patients with chest disease, including lung cancer. My special interests are in aortic surgery, including the use of minimally invasive endovascular stenting for thoracic aortic aneurysms. I also use leading-edge technology to treat severe heart failure, including the new permanent ventricular assist device (VAD) that provides “destination therapy” (our VAD program, which I co-direct, is the first and only program on Long Island to achieve national certification). I know how to address the unique cardiac needs of women, and am active in the Women’s Heart Program. I am also on the team of the Lung Cancer Evaluation Center that uses the multidisciplinary approach to provide the best possible care.
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to America's Top Surgeons published by the Consumers' Research Council of America
- Recipient of Outstanding Teacher Award presented by general surgery residents (2014)
- Village Times Herald's 2002 “Woman of the Year in Health”
- Bilfinger TV, Seifert FC, Giron F, McLarty AJ, Krukenkamp IB, Saltman AE, Ricotta JJ. Can the added risk of stroke from combined coronary artery bypass grafting and carotid endarterectomy be predicted? Ann Thorac Surg 2002;73:S377.
- Char D, Cuadra S, Ricotta J, Bilfinger T, Giron F, McLarty A, Krukenkamp I, Saltman A, Seifert F. Combined coronary artery bypass and carotid endarterectomy: long-term results. Cardiovasc Surg 2002;10:111-5.
- Essani R, Scriven RJ, McLarty AJ, Merriam LT, Ahn H, Bergamaschi R. Simulated laparoscopic sigmoidectomy training: responsiveness of surgery residents. Dis Colon Rectum 2009;52:1956-61.
- Farkouh ME, Domanski M, Sleeper LA, et al.; FREEDOM Trial Investigators [member, McLarty AJ]. Strategies for multivessel revascularization in patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012;367:2375-84.
- Forde KA, McLarty AJ, Tsai J, Ghalili K, Delany HM. Murphy's Button revisited. Clinical experience with the biofragmentable anastomotic ring. Ann Surg 1993;217:78-81.
- Larcos G, McLarty AJ, McGregor CG, Brown ML, Hung JC, O'Connor MK, Tazelaar HD. Evaluation of 99Tcm nonspecific polyclonal IgG in the detection of rejection in a single lung transplant canine model. Nucl Med Commun 1993;14:64-9.
- McLarty AJ, Deschamps C, Trastek VF, Allen MS, Pairolero PC, Harmsen WS. Esophageal resection for cancer of the esophagus: long-term function and quality of life. Ann Thorac Surg 1997;63:1568-72.
- McLarty A, Mann N, Lawson WE, Foster A. Womens heart health series: a mini-symposium. Med Sci Monit 2003;9:RA102-9.
- McLarty AJ, McGregor CG, Miller VM. Endothelium-derived factors modulate contraction of bronchial smooth muscle. Am J Physiol 1993;264(5 Pt 2):R999-R1003.
- McLarty AJ, McGregor CG, Shu NH, Miller VM, Ritman EL. Impact of acute pulmonary rejection on cardiac function. Circulation 1995;91:186-91.
- McLarty AJ, Miller VM, Tazelaar HD, McGregor CG. Bronchial contractions in transplanted lungs: Influence of denervation, acute rejection, and the bronchial epithelium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1993;106:797-804.
- McLarty AJ, Phillips MR, Holmes DR, Schaff HV. Aortocoronary bypass grafting with expanded polytetrafluoroethylene - 12-year patency. Ann Thorac Surg 1998;65:1442-44.
- McLarty AJ, Woodford E, Seifert F, Bilfinger TV, Saltman AE, Krukenkamp IB. Indomethacin in OPCAB reduces postoperative AFIB [abstract.] J Am Coll Cardiol 2001;37(Suppl 2):A310.
- Ricotta JJ, Char DJ, Cuadra SA, Bilfinger TV, Wall LP, Giron F, Krukenkamp IB, Seifert FC, McLarty AJ, Saltman AE, Komaroff E. Modeling stroke risk after coronary artery bypass and combined coronary artery bypass and carotid endarterectomy. Stroke 2003;34:1212-7.
- Salhab K, McLarty A. Idiopathic pulmonary artery aneurysm. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007;55:329-31.
- Taira BR, Jahnes K, Singer AJ, McLarty AJ. Does reported funding differ by gender in the surgical literature? Ann Surg 2008;247:1069-73.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)