- Professor of Surgery
- Deputy Chief, Cardiothoracic Surgery Division
- Co-Director, Heart Institute
- "Front and Center" Interview
- Harvard Medical School (1993)
- General Surgery, New York University Medical Center
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, New York University Medical Center
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Coronary Artery Disease
- High-Risk Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Aortic Dissections
- Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Re-Operative Open Heart Surgery
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery
- Gene Therapy for Intimal Hyperplasia
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-080
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
101 Nicolls Road
Stony Brook, NY 11794
- Personal Statement
I have been fortunate to train at some of the finest institutions in the world, including Princeton University, Harvard Medical School, MIT, and NYU Medical Center. My scientific and clinical training over many years has given me the opportunity to make my childhood dream of helping others a reality. Despite the state-of-the art surgical skills that I can offer my patients, I still feel that my most important quality is my desire to provide personal and compassionate care to all my patients and their families. This is best exemplified by one of my favorite medical quotes in medicine from Dr. Francis Peabody (a well-known Harvard Professor): "The secret in caring for the patient is to care for the patient."
- David Award, Networking Magazine ("for heroic acts and unselfish acts for the benefit of all")
- Double-Star Rating for Isolated CABG, New York State Department of Health Statistics
- "Best Doctors" Selection of New York Magazine
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area (Castle Connolly)
- Harvard Medical School National Merit Scholar
- Elected to Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Dangond F, Carrazana EJ, Samuels MA, Fernandez H, Rossitch E Jr. Toxoplasmosis cerebral en pcientes con el sindrome de inmunodeficienncia adquirida. Acta Neurol Colom 1992;8:33-8.
- Farkouh ME, Domanski M, Sleeper LA, et al.; FREEDOM Trial Investigators [member, Fernandez H]. Strategies for multivessel revascularization in patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012;367:2375-84.
- Fernandez H. Undocumented: My Journey to Princeton and Harvard and Life as a Heart Surgeon. Mustang, OK: Tate, 2012.
- Fernandez HA, Kallenbach K, Seghezzi G, Grossi E, Colvin S, Schneider R, Mignatti P, Galloway A. Inhibition of endothelial cell migration by gene transfer of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1. J Surg Res 1999;82:156-62.
- Fernandez HA, Kallenbach K, Seghezzi G, Mehrara B, Apazidis A, Baumann FG, Grossi EA, Colvin S, Mignatti P, Galloway AC. Modulation of matrix metalloproteinase activity in human saphenous vein grafts using adenovirus-mediated gene transfer. Surgery 1998;124:129-36.
- Kallenbach K, Fernandez HA, Seghezzi G, Baumann FG, Patel S, Grossi EA, Galloway AC, Mignatti P. A quantitative in vitro model of smooth muscle cell migration through the arterial wall using the human amniotic membrane. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2003;23:1008-13.
- Yannoukakos D, Stuart-Tilley A, Fernandez HA, Fey P, Duyk G, Alper SL. Molecular cloning, expression, and chromosomal localization of two isoforms of the AE3 anion exchanger from human heart. Circ Res 1994;75:603-14.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Board of Directors, Spanish-American Medical Dental Society (President, 2010-11)