The Bylaws of the School of Medicine Faculty Senate describe the responsibilities of the Senate in Article III:
The senate, as representative of the faculty, is authorized in accordance with Articles VI and X of the policies of the Board of Trustees to participate significantly in the initiation, development, and implementation of Educational, Research and Service programs. In this capacity, the Senate shall consider itself responsible for, but not be limited to, development of advice and assistance to the Dean in the following areas:
- Development of all areas of curriculum in which the Faculty of Medicine participates
- Research and service programs
- Admission and advancement of students
- Appointments, promotion and tenure
- Establishment and continuous review of academic standards
- Postgraduate and continuing medical education
- Student affairs
- Any other area referred to it for its consideration by the Executive Committee, the Senate, the Dean and the Vice President for Health Sciences.
For additional details on the duties and procedures of the Faculty Senate, faculty members are encouraged to consult the full text of the Bylaws of the School of Medicine Faculty Senate.